- Data Strategy,
- Life Sciences,
- Legal Services,
- Cloud Architecture ,
- Financial Services,
- Public Sector
– 08 Apr, 2020
Why Move To Cloud? - A Service Perspective
A common misconception many have about cloud software is that it’s primary use is for storage and application hosting.n truth, the wide range of Cloud providers can offer a wide range of services. Through this article we will identify a range of benefits cloud services provide through the lens of services.
Each function or process that your organisation provides could be considered a service. A cloud service is intended to replace or enhance a range of functions, backed by remote processing and storage.
A cloud service is individually deployable and can be used in isolation or connected to other services to enhance functionality. They promise a range of benefits over locally implemented options but require careful design and management to materialise. We will explore the primary benefits now:
- Deploy new services at the click of a button, without having to perform any hardware procurement and implementation. This is possible as your cloud provider performs the physical and local management of infrastructure.
- Automate many back-end processes leaving the cloud architect to simply customise settings and deploy the service. This results in faster deployment and requires less expertise as much of the typically required back-end skills are not necessary.
- A Reduction in capital cost as the physical hardware already exists and is managed by the Cloud provider. Similarly, where services are no longer needed or mistakes are made, immediate termination is available at little to no cost.
- Improved agility due to rapid deployment. New versions of built solutions can be tested and deployed alongside running services and then switched in with minimal disruption and full version control.
- Simplifying the integration of services through design and connectivity of cloud services, resulting I a better way to sell a wider range.
- Easily modifiable APIs and endpoints alongside customisable communication channels and security speed the connection of services, in some cases removing the requirements to code and provide commands entirely.
- Utilising state of the art technology such as Machine Learning requires a significant investment. Cloud services can provide the dedicated hardware and remove some of the technical requirements of these technologies. Significant portions of both architectural and engineering components are automated, alongside provision of various pre-built solutions for machine learning and other technologies.
We understand that Transitioning to a large Cloud provider can feel like a daunting task, however we hope that this article provides a wide range of benefits which to enable your organisation to better provide for your customers while also simplifying internal demand.
In the next article we will discuss one of the main concerns with the cloud services, how secure is the cloud?
Data Strategy & Analytics Expert
Chaucer's AI specialist delivering data strategies and capabilities for Fortune 500 organisations. He is passionate about driving data led digital transformation to enable organisations to realise the benefits of machine learning and holds both an MBA and MA in Educational Leadership and Management.